Locations: Any available location, Cardiff, Leeds, London, Nottingham, Whitehaven, Winchester
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Due to our global reach and multi-disciplinary approach, Arup has been successful in the assessment and development of major sites for more than 30 years. We typically take on challenging sites and through the application of our skills, and collaboration with colleagues and other professionals, we prepare the sites to be consented and enabled for a range of end uses including:-
- Small to large mixed-use developments, including housing and employment uses
- Public Spaces
- Urban infrastructure
- Transport related Infrastructure
- Energy generation and distribution
- Support on wide range of projects in the built environment including designing external drainage, utilities, highways and public realm for hospitals, sports stadia, educational and commercial buildings
The experience and skills of our teams allow us to provide advice at all stages of a project, from first conception through master planning, detailed design and construction.
We aim to offer a complete service, resulting in a team that collaborates with a broad range of other Arup services. Our teams also work closely with many external bodies involved in the delivery of major projects.
Current projects are varied, exciting and often high profile. They include the design of external works for major developments and of infrastructure across the UK, international projects, and site development projects on brownfield land where our integrated approach can radically influence what is built and where thus improving the quality of peoples’ lives and of the local environment.
We are currently recruiting for Graduate Civil Engineers to join our well-established regional teams across the UK. You will be encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience.
You could be appraising or designing roads, earthworks, drainage and utility networks, pavements, public realm, flood alleviation works, and civil structures, typically a part of a wider team.
To do this you would be:
- Working with Arup colleagues in specialisms such as Geotechnics, Highways, Rail, Aviation, Transport Planning, Building Engineering, Sustainability and Environmental Planning
- Working with collaborators such as architects and planners
- Meeting with clients, local authorities, and other stakeholders – including site visits
- Preparing design calculations, often using specialist software
- Using CAD and BIM to organise and present information
- Working with contractors to understand how construction work will be carried out
- Helping to win and manage commissions from clients
- Managing your own time and deadlines to meet project commitments
The deliverables you produce will include:
- Technical reports
- Spatial information, including drawings and model files
- Technical specifications
What we look for
We encourage our Graduate Civil Engineers to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients. As such, we are looking for the following qualifications, skills and attributes in you:
- Ideally a Masters in Civil Engineering (or equivalent) at 2.1 or above, although a BEng at 2.1 or above will also be considered
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level Mathematics and Physics
- An understanding of CAD, 3D Design and digital tools is an advantage
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in Civil Engineering site development, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- An ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and other professionals
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
In return, we offer the following:
- A competitive salary
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects through our unique Early Development Scholarship
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
We have opportunities in the following offices: Cardiff, Leeds, London, Nottingham, Whitehaven and Winchester
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate would join their peers for this event.
If you would like to find out about some of our exciting projects, please click here:
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Related Jobs (6)
Graduate Civil/Structural Engineer – Bridges – UK-wide on January 4, 2018 Full TimeGraduate
Electrical Engineering Summer Placements – Buildings – UK-wide on January 4, 2018 Full TimeGraduate