Our Midlands office employs Arup UK’s largest group of Bridge and Civil Structures engineers, with a team of over 70 professionals working across several project locations. We are a truly diverse team of individuals delivering major projects in the UK and across the globe for numerous clients. Our projects range from bridges to major infrastructure projects that transform and greatly improve our daily lives, such as new transport hubs and major road and rail upgrades.
Our engineers regularly work in close partnership with clients to understand their needs and aspirations. We work together with a broad range of specialists to propose innovative technical and economic solutions to complex briefs, making the most challenging of programmes and advance construction techniques possible. Our drive to advance bridge and structural engineering and our commitment to continuous learning shapes our innovative solutions.
Arup collaborates with Government, Local authorities, architects, developers and contractors to shape pragmatic and enduring infrastructure that transforms the way people live and work. Every project is unique and comes with its own set of challenges and opportunities.
Right now we are looking for a Graduate Civil or Structural Engineer, with curiosity, technical know-how and a strong sense of service delivery, to join our established Bridge team working in Hertfordshire, where you’ll work as part of the successful team that manages the 1500 bridges and structures in the county.
Projects or individual bridges/structures will be allocated to you on a regular basis for varying lengths of time, which provides an interesting and varied working environment. Working closely with other bridge engineers and bridge inspectors, you will be helping to deliver bridge services for Hertfordshire. Along with other discipline teams including a works contractor, you and the bridge team will be ensuring that the County’s infrastructure remains fully operational and safe.
Working within a friendly and well-led team that is fully integrated with the client’s, you will be:-
- Carrying out design and assessing structures
- Using technical analysis and design software packages
- Doing bridge inspections and surveys
- Preparing drawings and engineering sketches
- Liaising with highway engineers, contractors and suppliers
- Attending stakeholder meetings
- Resolving of site queries and solving site problems
- Writing technical reports
- Organising of meetings and CPD training events
- Representing Arup in links with local schools and universities
You’ll have responsibility from day one and we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. You’ll be supported and encouraged to undertake training, and to work towards a professional UK qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
What we look for:
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Master’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE or IStructE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in Mathematics at A-Level (or equivalent)
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Skills in the analysis and design of bridges and structures are an advantage
- An understanding of CAD (Bentley or Autocad) is an advantage
- Enthusiasm for a career in bridge engineering or heavy civil engineering structures, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Committed to the successful delivery of projects, meeting the needs of our cients, the development of the team and business as a whole
What we offer you
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team
- As much responsibility as you would like to take on
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training